RE: Echoplex memory mess... (6 long screws and a short one)

By the way, we no longer use screws of different lengths. They are all
short screws these days and have been for a while now.
Thanks
Pat Murphy
Oberheim Sales

Greetings from Oberheim

Regarding the memory mess. This may or may not help but is worth
checking before sending your Echoplex back for repair.

1) It works great with factory memory.
2) The memory is upgraded. The Echoplex doesn't work right.
3) The original memory is reinstalled and it still acts funky.

Some of the malfunctioning seems to occur after touching the or jarring
the Echoplex. Here is a possible solution.

There are 7 screws holding the top on the Echoplex. There are 4 on the
back, 1 on each side and 1 on the front. All of these screws should be
the same length except the one on the right side (looking from the front
of the Echoplex). That screw should be just a fraction shorter than the
rest. Unless you are really looking for it, all the screws appear to be
the same length. When a long screw is put into the right side, it can
come into contact with the core of the transformer. It seems to mess
with the magnetic field somehow and it makes the Echoplex act kind of
spastic. Jarring and touching the Echoplex can make it reset and act
unpredictably if a long screw is used by mistake.

This may or may not be the problem but you might check out. Hope this
helps.

Thanks
Pat Murphy
Oberheim Sales