Re: Fwd: FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN

mark sottilaro wrote:

> As a creator of original music I find nothing wrong with this at all.

The thing that bothers me is the notion that sample-clearance
infringements could be a first step towards restrictions far more
nebulous and difficult to justify in strictly legal terms, and for those
restrictions to be enforced at the manufacturing level.  It's one thing
for a warning sticker to be placed on somebody's album, or for a certain
retail outlet to choose not to stock an album, due to content some
people find objectionable; it's a very different thing for a
manufacturing plant to reject the production of an album on similar
grounds.  Obviously, this sort of scenario is several stages in a
hypothetical future, but the Negativland situation is still a somewhat
disturbing premise, even if the intent (alleged or otherwise) is to
crackdown on piracy and unauthorized use of someone else's work.

--Andre