Re: Getting paid to play

Ah yes, everywhere faces the same problem. Strange though, if all of the
musicans, no matter what style, refused to play for free, lots of these
places would shut down. When travelling, it becomes more difficult. If I
travel 1000 miles away to play somewhere, how can I make sure the place is
filled? Or that the club advertised at all? I can't bring 500 of my friends
(yeah, like I have 500 friends at all!) with me...
Many venue owners that I have played for haven't had this attitude- their
place is a place that always has people in it, because maybe the food is
good, maybe the drinks are good, maybe theres nowhere else to go in the
area. In any case, they don't rely on musicians (some would say the most
unreliable people around) for their money. There are still some people who
think of music as a service they provide, rather than the only way they can
get people in there.
If you come across a club owner with the attitude of 'how much money can
you
make me', then run away! Usually they won't pay, bitch about volume and set
times, and whine that you didn't bring anyone in (even if you clearly
have).
Besides, you'll be competing with a loud, drunken crowd who couldn't care
less about how you combined that Indian sounding 13/8 beat over the 5/8
theme in 'Tarkus'. And you'll leave thinking 'was it worth all this' and
'am
I doing the right thing'?

There are lots of options for loopy music, many are not places that
normally
have music. Museums, art galleries, lobbies of performing art centers,
aquariums, etc...if they don't normally have music there, go tell them why
they should, and offer your services. Many places like this have $ set
aside
for 'special events', and the audience you'll find is very receptive to new
music.
Dave Eichenberger
'Future Perfect' - art music - visit our website at:
http://home1.gte.net/artmusic/