Re: ASR-X Pro vs. MPC2000

On Wednesday, September 02, 1998 3:44 AM, Stew Benedict
[SMTP:stewb@earthlink.net] wrote:

> Has anyone bought from this SoundOnSound outfit in Japan?  Their
> prices on Roland and Akai are incredible, but I'm a little hesitant to
> just send a check off to Japan...

Stew, I've been hangin' out on a Roland list, and at least 10 people (from
several different countries) have posted with very positive, enthusiastic
results about doing business with SOS.  (Nope, they're not paying me for
this
endorsement, but I could definitely get into some barter...  %^).  No one
has
posted any complaints so far -- SOS seems to be competent, fast, and
reliable.
 One thing ya gotta check/deal with is whether the voltage on hardware
products
is compatible with where you are located.  (Is it 220 in Japan?)  I
haven't
looked into that piece of it myself, so I don't know for sure.

Another variable is whether one will be charged customs duties here in the
US.
 Several of the Roland list guys have been charged (usually 2.9%), others
were
charged nothing.  My guess is that it depends on what kind of mood the
customs
dude/dudess is in when the package rolls by.  Send 'em some Wizard of Oz
and
Pink Floyd to distract them...

Yet another consideration is the product warranty being registered through
an
out-of-country retailer.  This may potentially be a costly problem on some
products if you need repairs, but not necessarily on others.

I can send you more particulars off list if you'd like.

http://www.soundonsound.com/index-e.html

ciao,
laurie