Re: CDRs

At 21:38 -0400 9/18/98, GRAIGORY2@aol.com wrote:
> Which do you all feel is better... computer based, or stand alone CDR
>drives?
>
> and what are your views on the following:
>
> 1) Phillips cdd-2600 and 2) Phillips cdr 870
> 3) Smart and Friendly  CD Rocket
> 8x20 CD-Recorder

What I like about my computer-based CD-R drive is that I can back up and
archive my computer files and my sampler's hard disk, as well as create
audio CD's.

I use a Ricoh CD-RW (not as cool as it used to be when CD-R blanks cost
more) on a Mac with Adaptec's Toast (fine for everything except audio) and
Jam (good for audio).  I've tried Digidesign's program, but it refuses to
work with my drive, saying that I need new firmware.  Toast and Jam don't
seem to mind (nor did the CD manufacturer).  Jam is pretty cool, you have a
fair amount of control over spacing and crossfades between tracks, and you
can audition everything before burning a disc.

What's best for you depends on how you're making your masters.  If you're
recording, mixing and/or mastering on the computer, then it's likely that
burning CD's from the computer will be a logical extension of what you're
already doing.  On the other hand, if you don't already have a way to get
CD-quality audio into the computer, then you'd need an audio card and 650
MB of hard disk space as well as the burner.  The standalone unit makes
sense, I suppose, in an environment where computer file backup and transfer
isn't so important and you're doing more work away from the computer.

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt                             doug@sonosphere.com
Sonosphere (electric/improv music)     http://www.sonosphere.com/