RE: fretless guitars

> how i finish the fingerboard depends upon the tone i want from the
> instrument:
>     raw wood (sometimes waxed w/carnuba) for a softer tone; kinda jaco
> sounding
>         on electric, 'ud sonding on acoustic
>     clear epoxy for that bengali dotar, glass-like sound
>     stainless steel for that crisp, sharp sarod sound

        fyi: it is said that jaco pastorious used boat (finish?) epoxy on
his fretboards to get his sound.

        I prefer "raw" wood for my fretless sound, sounds more 'cello/bass
viol-like.

        david fuzinski uses a fretless fingerboard on a guitar, I can't
remember whether or not it's coated. he uses flatwound strings tho'.

        stig