Re: PC based looping software?

But Acid doesn't really meet his request for a more
interactive/real-time/delay style of looping with things like overdub and
feedback. That usually implies the ability to be adding your own audio to
the loops in real time, and controlling that accurately, and nothing on
PC's
really handles that well, or at all. The reason lies in the typical general
purpose OS's used, where audio I/O and user control latencies can be really
long. The time between when audio goes into the box and when it can come
out
can be anywhere from 20ms to as much as 500ms, far worse than any
stand-alone box. Making a basic PC do any kind of real-time processing of
real world signals is very problematic for this reason. PC's are ok for
things like hard disk recording, sequencing and sound editing because
there,
the application has many opportunities to compensate for all the latency.

Stand-alone devices like boomerang/echoplex/jamman/etc are specially
designed for low latencies and tight user control, which makes them much
better suited for more "live" (or real-time) loop creation/manipulation.

kim