RE: Recordings

>> y'know, I've heard a lot of television commercials with really cool
>> backing
>> music in the past couple of years. That's where I've heard the best drum
>> n'
>> bass lately.  . . .  Was the jingle industry quitely disappeared and
>> replace by avant-garde composers? In any case, seems like a fine place
>for
>> some wild loops.
>>

>        I've noticed this too . . . my take on it is a little less benign
>guess. To me, it seems like just another instance of a cool art form being
>coopted for the sake of commerce - - thereby stripping it of any sense of
>danger or threat, and totally subverting it away from the youth culture
>that
>created it . . . turning it into yet another homogenized bit of corporate
>culture. IMHO.
>

>        Color me pessimstic . . .

I dunno, maybe it's that some cool musicians are infiltrating the music
industry. Maybe the subversion runs both ways? The Volkswagen add curently
running is probably the most ears the Orb have reached thus far.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra