VG-8 or 2112

Ok, this may seem like comparing oranges & apples but.... I'm trying to
choose between these. Does anyone have any comments regarding just the
parts you can compare? Like the basic guitar timbre processing of the
VG-8(or the synthesis there of?) I would especially like to hear from
you folks who loop with a VG-8. Stuff like how you configure your loop
setup w/ the unit. As a blossiming Guitar player/looper, I am ready to
move up from my lowly SE-50 to a "real" guitar processor. I use a GR-50
also and get into adding a little something special to that core analog
sound from my STRAT. That core sound is what impressed me about the
Digitech 2112. On the other hand I like synthesized sound too so here
lies my problem. Are the various pickup config patches on the VG
reasonably comparable to the 'ol analog ways?
Thanks, -Dennis