Re: Starr labs - Z Tar midi controller (How About Zendrum?)

I've been working with Harvey Starr on the development of a "tap
guitar"...essentially a flamenco acoustic nylon string guitar, outfitted
with
a series of midi trigger plates mounted on the top and rim of the
instrument...for use in "golpe" taps between rumba flamenca strums.  Since
am both a drummer and a guitarist, I've searched for ways to integrate the
two, without just putting the transducers for acoustic tone inside the top
of
the guitar.  I've been after more latin percussion sounds, etc., conga,
bongos, timbales, claves, etc....the system Harvey's building for me, will
have both onboard sound modules and remote midi capabilities.  I've applied
for a patent on the design, and trust that they will be made commercially
available for resale at some point in the future.

I had approached Zendrum with my concept on a number of occasions...they
were
simply not interested in outfitting a guitar with Zendrum controls.  Harvey
Starr, on the other hand, welcomed the opportunity.  We have been working
on
this for a long time, and it appears that we're nearing completion with it.
I'll let everyone know how it works out.  I've positioned the trigger
plates
conveniently for the different tap/strumming techniques, and with the use
of
my Oberheim Echoplex EDP's (stereo pair), I'll be able to get some real
interesting effects.  Additionally, the guitar is outfitted with RMC
pickups
which will also drive the GR-30, GR-1 and VG-8...so, I hope to have an
orchestra in my hands, when I'm done.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Regards, Wayne Wesley Johnson