Re: Devices versus computers for live looping

Dear All,

        Hate to say it, but music has been around quite a bit longer than
the
computer, yes, even for electronic music; take Tangerine Dream for an
example
of this...  The computer is just another tool, just like an Echoplex, or
like
a phase pedal is for me.  Sometimes it's a good thing to use, and other
times
it can be just too much.  IMHO it is a matter of moderation, that's all.

        I've seen (one-man) bands play, wherein the computers in
sequencers and
Loopers were necessary, and I've seen a few shows where the band was just
WAY
too dependent upon the effects, and when they ran into troubles, it was the
end of the show.  Other times, I've seen the performers just do a stripped
down gig, or even go fairly acoustic.
        My own personal experience with the Luck of Technology staying
with me during
a gig has been incredible to say the least.  Have only had a few gigs
wherein
the synthesizer rig or the electricity went out on me; kept some acoustic
instruments around for just such an event.

        On the same token, there are times wherein the bands are going for
as much
glitz as possible, or in other cases need the computers there for them,
'cos
of what they're playing.  Watching a few Techno bands, whose main sequencer
went south on 'em wasn't funny, especially when it happened in the very
beginning of the show.  That's it, $15.00 down the tubes...  On the same
token, I thought that Andy Summers and Joe Satriani did great jobs when
they
had to play without much processing at all.

        As to having a computer replacing players; well, I'm not one to
talk on that
note, but it just really won't happen in this century, nor probably any
time
soon.  The computer can duplicate only what it is given for the music, but
as
to playing a solo back, or covering for a missed beat, or going on a
musical
tangent...  Not just yet.  The whole point of music is communication and
expression.  Let me get back to my POS S.u.S.E. 5.3 with the messy lilo and
then onto some tune making.

        Have fun, and thanks for the people to talk to on getting the
manual for the
TSR24s.  It's only $5.00 from Harmony Central, so it is only a matter of me
sending the funds via snailmail.

        Tchus.

                Lee-ohki.