Gravikords, Whirlies & Pyrophones

'Gravikords, Whirlies & Pyrophones'

Lovers of crazy and experimental music, be sure to check out this CD
sampler by Bart Hopkin, released on ellipsis arts ...

it contains a book and CD about experimental musical instruments with 19
example tracks and documentation, text and photos. The selections contain
obvious candidates such as Harry Partch or Clara Rockmore (Theremin
virtuoso), but also lots of people I hadn't known. Music from treated
electronics, unusual synthesizers, car horn organs, glassharps, flowerpot
marimbas, and lots more. Not only are the instruments beautifully designed
- they are being played masterfully, by truly gifted musicians. I found
the
CD extremely inspiring and I really had an hour of fun listening. It also
made me feel like more.

Thank God there is more! Bart Hopkin (editor of the 'experimental musical
instruments' magazine and website) has done another one. It is called
'Orbitones, Spoon Harps & Bellowphones' and features a wide range of
musicians from John Cage to Aphex Twin. Looks really promising. I'll save
it for next weekend.

*       Michael Peters:         mpeters@csi.com
*       escape veloopity:               electronic guitar loop music
*       hop - fractals in motion:       strange attractors
*       http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mpeters