Re: Akai Headrush/New member

Hello to all the group:

I'm new to the 'net, new to the group, new to looping, but have been doing
music for quite a few years.  This thread is as good a time as any to
introduce myself.  I recently purchased an EDP and have begun to experiment
with live looping.  I've spent the last fifteen years studying North Indian
Classical music both in the States and in India.  I'm having lots of fun
looping with sitar and surbahar (bass sitar), as well as other middle
eastern/south asian stringed instruments like the Turkish baglama, the
Iranian tar, and the Afghani rabab.

I'm sure it's been discussed in the past, but I'd like to make some
recommendations for "traditional" music that incorporates rhythmic and
melodic repetition in a "looping" sense.  Here are some good recordings:

"Ritual Mouth-Organs of the Murung" Auvidis CD W 260084 -- this is
traditional ensemble music from a tribal people in Bangladesh -- there's no
relation at all to the "classical" or even the folk music of
India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.  Hard to describe the music, but the "mouth
organs" have a reedy quality not unlike an electric organ, and are played
in
interlocking repetitive sections.  My wife heard this from the next room
and
thought it was Brian Eno!  Come to think of it, it even sounds a bit like a
less thickly-textured Terry Riley.  The Auvidis website is
http://www.mcm.asso.fr  They have many great recordings of traditional
music
from around the world.

Almost any music you can find from "Balouchistan" which is more of a
cultural area than an independent country.  The Baluchi area basically
overlaps eastern Iran, western Pakistan, and part of Afghanistan.
Shanachie
records # 65013 "Mystic Fiddle of the Proto-Gypsies" despite it's
misleading
title has some great music played on the "sorud" -- an upright fiddle which
is also known throughout south and central asia as "sarinda" and "ghichak."
A very haunting sound.  I'd also recommend 2 recordings on the French Ocora
label.  The first, Ocora C 560105, is called "Balouchistan The Instrumental
Tradition" and features not only the sorud, but also an incredible flute
called "doneli" which is held more like a recorder (*not* the electronic
one!) but is actually a "double flute" consisting of one flute for drone
and
the other for melody.  A really interesting instrument played here is
called
the "benju" which is a Japanese "toy" instrument that's almost like an
Appalachian dulcimer but played with a typewriter-style keyboard.  Despite
the silly look of the instrument, the gentleman playing it here is
absolutely virtuosic.  You would think it was an Iranian sehtar or other
long-necked lute.  The second Ocora disc (C 580017/18) is a double CD
featuring all of the instruments mentioned above, as well as some singing
and "healing ceremonies."  I'd recommend only to investigate this one if
you
hear and like the others.

A little closer to home (?) is a recording of Sardinian folk music on the
Al
Sur label (ALCD 157) called "Sardaigne - Les Maitres de la musique
instrumentale" or "Masters of Instrumental Music."  The first few pieces
are
recordings of the "organetto," a small accordian.  These are mainly dance
pieces.  The remainder of the disc is taken up with various flute/recorder
instruments, the most fascinating of which is called "launeddas" which are
reed pipes that are played (like the "doneli" above) either in pairs, or
even in threes.  Circular breathing is used to create a continuous sound.
The melodies themselves are short, repetitive kernels which are played over
and over, but not always symmetrically.  I imagine that on the page this
looks pretty dull, but hearing it you'd be surprised how much it rocks.

I apologize in advance for being somewhat off-topic but I think that anyone
interested in looping and in traditional music would find these
interesting.

Looking forward to more interesting discussions with the group.

James Pokorny