For the birds . . . (was Field Recordings/Loops, etc.)

The 20th century French composer Olivier Messaien was also fascinated with
birdsong, to the point of collecting, notating, cataloguing and
transcribing
numerous examples from his own fieldwork, then incorporating these "found"
melodies into his own compositions.

Another fascinating example of interplay between live musicians and birds
can be found on a great recording, on the Swiss VDE-Gallo label, VDE CD-699
"Afghanistan - the Rubab of Herat - Mohammed Rahim Khushnawaz."  These were
field recordning made by an ethnomusicologist, John Baily, who was studying
Afghani traditional music.  The performer heard here is a virtuoso of the
short-necked Afghani lute, the rubab (also spelled rabab).  On several
pieces you can clearly hear birds singing.  This would not be unusual for
"field recordings" -- except that the performer specifically brought some
caged canaries along to the recording session!  The liner notes explain:

"The sounds of music combined with the sounds of birdsong constituted the
acme of musical aesthetic enjoyment in Herat [town where the music was
recorded].  The Heratis believed that the birds were stimulated to sing by
the sound of music, and caged birds were sometimes brought to performances
so that their voices could be added to the sound.  The better the music,
the
more the birds were believed to respond, and their song provided a sort of
litmus test of how well the music was going."

But I'd recommend this recording for its incredible musical content even
more than for the birdsong.

I've also heard other Afghani recordings where the musicians themselves
perform amazing imitations of bird calls during their performance, I
suppose
for the same effect.