Re: Mackie experts

David Myers wrote:
[Mackie 1202VLZ]
>Any way to make use of the
>alt 3/4 bus?  I'm looking at the block diagram here, and there's obviously
>loads of flexibility, but haven't figured it yet.

The 3/4 bus in the 1202 and one of the 16xx units is seductive but
I rarely do end up using it.  As you've probably read, the idea is that
any channels that are muted actually are fed into the special alt 3/4 "bus"
(which is really just an extra pair of outputs).

You can use this as an extra pair of sends but there are two problems.

The first is that you have to mute a channel to send it.  That means if
you want to hear ANY of the dry signal, it has to come from the effects
unit, which means monkeying with the wet/dry balance on the unit if it has
one.  This means, for example, that you can't EQ just the effect on a
channel.

The second is more insidious... your friendly Mute switch no longer means
"silence this channel" but "send it at full volume to my effects unit".

The potential for rather dramatic errors is obvious I think, particularly
if other people may adjust your board at some point.

Sends are comparatively expensive to add, necessitating at least one
extra component per channel as well as the circuitry for the send,
and are also consumptive of board space (same argument).

but what I wouldn't give for a 16-track, 6 send mixer that I could
carry around.

["Pro" VLZ's?]

Hadn't heard of these.

>Mackie's info says "frequency response is virtually from DC to light".

+/-0.1db from 20Hz to 100KHz is very impressive, Neve quality.

>What I really
>would like is a top end around microwave, but heck....

Give it up, I've been told that air has a maximum transmission frequency
that's
less than a gigahertz.  (though I couldn't find a single reference to back
this up.)

        /t