Stage presence

The Rev. sermonised:
> Ok, here's my current bit 'o prejudices: keyboardists
> who set up facing the audience (i.e. you can't see
> their hands, just the back of their keyboards with
> all of the wires hanging down like electronic
> intestines) and solo turntablists. These are damn
> dull to watch. Look, he's putting on another record
> and bobbing his head!
Hmmm.... I've not seen these guys live, but on TV most DJ acts come with
large numbers of scantily-clad dancers (either gender) to distract
attention
from them.  Keyboards have always been a problem ('less you're Keith
Emerson), hence attempts at stage-friendliness like the Roland SH-101.

Mark made me (for one) jealous:
>As a solo or duo performer that relies on silicone for band mates, I've
Ahem...  "silicon" not "silicone", unless you ARE hiring cage dancers!

> Luckily, I cut my teeth working for the Queen of Multimedia,
> Laurie Anderson, and that woman knows how to spice up a
> sequence spewing from a synclavier.
I am _totally_ envious!!!  I'm a huge fan of Laurie Anderson.  Her earlier
stuff is a great example of spare, brutal looping (I don't know why,
"brutal" just seems to fit) eg. most of Big Science (especially "Born,
Never
Asked".. absolutely beautiful).  Later albums are more lush, but still
wonderful... how were you involved with her?

I'd love to collaborate with someone on the whole "ambient loopmusic
backing
spoken-word", I just haven't found anyone to do so with...

>Is this the "cage dancer" of the computer age?
No, cage dancers are the cage dancers of the computer age!
('cept maybe without the cages)

>Digital colored water and oil?  Maybe, but let me tell you: It works.
Hasn't that been around since Pink Floyd in the late 60s?

Finally, Kim welcomed:
>Hey, welcome back Mike!
Good to be back here, Kim!  Finished paying off your Klein yet?  ;)

Mike
Mike Hughes, Ph.D.               Tel: (+44) 1483 300800 x2344
Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering,    Fax: (+44) 1483 306039
University of Surrey,            EMail: m.hughes@surrey.ac.uk
Guildford, Surrey, UK    www.surrey.ac.uk/MME/Research/BioMed