Re: Ever feel like throwing your stuff in the garbage?

I think it's the amount of information available and the ease of access to
it.

I'm 41 and when I was a kid it was hard to find information about what was
what.
You couldn't read a article in a music mag and have someone divulge the
secrets
of how they got this sound or that. I remember listening to the early
"electronic" sounds and having to guess and invent possible explanations.

My favorite is when I heard the guitar on lagrima by phil Manzanera which
had
this long prominent preverb and I was sure he must have learned the whole
piece
backwards and played it into the tape to get that sucking sound.

Allot of this lead to interesting inventions as I'm sure it still does but
allot
of time within days of a CD coming out you got the engineer breaking down
the
whole process step by step in print.

And then there's the equipment itself. I spent allot of hour trying to
process my
old farfisa to sound like Eno or Tangerine Dream and splicing real tape
loops or
making them out of modified cassettes to have something I could perform
with.

Don't get me wrong I'm jealous. the only benefit I've had from my timing
is when
this guy walked up to me at a gig and asked me how much I paid for my
"vintage"
Small Stone phaser and I told him I bought it for $19.95. He said "no way!
where!" and I told him at Guitar Center then waited for a second while he
tried
to comprehend my luck till I added it was 1979 and they were on sale.

Remember the shitty new stuff you buy today is the "vintage" find of
tomorrow.