Re: minidisc generations

In a message dated 03/09/99 18:15:50 GMT Daylight Time, wgold@mecasw.com
writes:

> Of course when talking compression, there's always lossage, BUT... Since
>  the data is compressed at record time onto the MD, then the D->D
>transfer
>  from one deck to another should copy the pre-compressed data so it
>doesn't
>  have to go through another compression (I would HOPE this is how it
>works,
>  please correct me if I'm wrong).
Sadly I don't think the lossless copy from MD to MD is possible as the
digital O/P
is in a format that gear without ATRAC can read. I haven't heard of a
minidisc
with a separate O/P for the compressed data, which is what would be needed.
I guess this is something to do with the paranoia that the recording
industry
has
about 'pirate' copies. >  please correct me if I'm wrong).

Andy Butler