Re: Paying for downloads (was:Re: <OFF-TOPIC>) (fwd)

I was speaking about the creation of sites for distribution, as opposed to,
yes even your Gershwin example will apply, meeting people and colaborating
on
music, but the distribution in general. The "personality" that music has is
lost in alot of ways through this almost "pay to play" series of events.
Everyone has their own idea of how to play music, as well as how to make
money
off of it, the latter of which has never been my motivation. Which again,
is
the basis for opinion. Not a guideline for all.

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Tom Ritchford wrote:

|I'm listening right now to Ella singing Gershwin.  Gershwin wasn't doing
|manual labour at this point, he was scribbling little dots on paper
|and giving it to the right people and making a lot of money (deservedly).
|
|We are selling an information product, period.  Anything that gets in the
|way is irrelevant, a good exercise for your personal Zen at best.
|
|       /t

                                                           James R. Pearce
                                                      jamesrp@statenet.com