Re: OT: keyboard alternatives for stressed wrist

Hi all,

I worked out a couple of minor solutions to this
problem. After a minimal amt of research, I felt
the chording type keyboards were going to be too
slow (bat,etc.) I settled on Interfaces by Cramer

http://www.ergointerfaces.com/Welcome.htm

It was around $225 for a refurbished unit (ouch).
They have a chair arm and a desktop model. I
purchased the desktop model as it was exactly
what I wanted for my desk. Most desks are not
suitable for computers and keyboarding, IMHO.  I
finally designed my own, which is really just of
4x8 sheet of maple faced plywood with a rounded
square cut out of the middle. It is simply draped
across a couple of two drawer file cabinets with
the back resting on wall mounted shelf supports.
My chair slides up into the little cutout and my
arms rest along the sides in a very relaxed
position, and interface w/ the keyboard. I have
the monitor in front and can swivel to 2 work
surfaces. There is plenty of room for additional
equip on the larger worksurface. I hope to find
or build a large replica of a computer keyboard
slide out drawer and install a piano keyboard
right under the monitor section, so I can pull it
out and wail away. I also put female velcro tape
on the keys I hit the most to cushion the impact
(spacebar, backspace, enter, etc.).  This has
helped alot to slow down the finger joint
disintegration. A picture of my desk and keyboard
if you are interested is at:

http://members.xoom.com/ranjones/epbimages/desk.JPG

That's not me in the picture. I'm much younger
and better looking :-).

Randy Jones
--- Michael Tuminello <m1cha3l@earthlink.net>

=====