Re: Synchronization band-loop (machine-loop)

>Matthias Grob wrote:
>>
>> Jim asked:
>> >Anyone use the EDP midi out to sync. drum machines?
>> >I always find that even with 1/8th beats at max. the
>> >clock output is far too slow even on a 5sec. base loop.
>>
>> Oh, thats interesting. It would not be complicated to change the 1/8th
>> beats table. Maybe it should not contain all the odd beat numbers, but
>> bigger ones instead?

Jim again:
>propable a bad idea (and assuming your still up for ideas
>for firmware "upgrades) but ... how about an option instead
>of 1/8th beats where you can dial in a bpm setting which
>generates a clock-out and controls the quantised functions?
>then instead of 1/8th beats you could simple have a choice
>of 4/4 3/4 or triplet times which determined how the EDP
>quantises your loop time to the beat pattern.

One thing is the definition of the timing with a programable dial-number
variable. Certainly not for EDP any more, but for something bigger, many
wished that.

The other thing is the definition of the measure. We only have one button
for it. As I understand, you would be satisfied with just 4/4, 3/4 and
multiples while others seam to want all options up to 63/8 ? Really?:

Claude finds:
>Adding bigger ones is needed

ok, lets look for a solution!

>but cutting out some values could start a war...

I hope the soldiers step out here and declare their credo to avoid the war!
If I simply increase the table, you get a tired finger.
I can make the longpress count quickly (like Source#...) instead of go back
to 8, which I found more usefull and might start another "war"...

How about the following middle way:
Instead of all measures up to 64/8, I put:
all measures up to 16/8
then in steps of 2 up to 32/8
then in steps of 4 up to 64/8
then in steps of 8 up to 128/8
then in steps of 16 up to 256/8 = 16 bars of 4/4

Those are 48 values, so its easier to operate than now, and you can sync a
4 times longer loop. You can get 15 bars of 4/4 = 240 or 8 bars of 15/8 =
120, but  not 5 bars of 5/8 = 25.
Those odd numbers of bars of odd measures you can still create with
Mulitply, as explained in the other mail.

The table could also have a different organization to find values quicker,
like
all measures up to 8/8
then multiples of 4/8
then multiples of 3/8
then multiples of 5/8

Do I make it clear?

>you have some responsabilities now Mathias...

now? yep, its heavy ;-) There are dozends of decisions like this one...
Opinions of users with different aplications are very helpfull!

Thank you
Matthias

         ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org