RE: fwd:fwd:etc.hey it hurts -- Kb and KB

I would also like everybody to start saying what they mean:  "Kb" is not
the
same as "KB."

Kb = kilobit, that is, 1,024 (2 to the 10th power) bits
KB = kilobyte, 1,024 bytes.
Mb = megabit, 1,024 kilobits.
MB = megabyte, 1,048,576 (2 to the 20th power) bytes, or 1,024 kilobytes
Gb = gigabit, 1,024 megabits.
GB = gigabyte, 1,073,741,824 (2 to the 30th power) bytes, or 1,024
megabytes
etc.

>From downloading files, you ought to know that 20 Kb per second is
>obviously
not the same as 20 KB per second.

Remember also that bits and bytes are not measured in the decimal system
but
in the binary.

In computer circles, the letter "K" is always uppercase.  Also, computer
people tried to have the letter "K" be uppercase for binary systems and
lowercase for decimal systems, but nobody pays any attention to that.

Let's be on the same page about this.

OK, now everybody, how many bits in a byte?