Re: Yamaha SU700

At 12:57 PM -0700 10/23/99, Drew Skyfyre wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Anyone here use a Yamaha SU700 ? Seems pretty powerful, though I've come
>acroos reports of system freezes. Assuming that it has pretty
>comprehensive
>MIDI implementation (which most Yamaha units seem to have), then under
>control from a sequencer or MIDI foot control pedal board, it could be
>used
>like an Echoplex. Plus the SCSI option means that loops can be saved
>directly to hard disk/removable drives & there are resonant filters, 68MB
>RAM, 3 effects processors, & a max of 64 voices, or in this case, actually
>tracks.

I watched a guy demo it at the NAMM show. (so I don't have any hands on
use.) Unlike the echoplex or other real-time samplers, you can't sample
something and immediately have it looping in rhythm. There are some steps
in between, so it won't be seamless for a performance. (When I asked the
guy doing the demo about this, he said, "why would anybody want to do
that?" He was completely baffled, thought I was nuts for for wanting to
sample stuff live...:-)   So in that way, it is fundamentally different
from echoplex, jamman, etc. It might not let you sample new stuff while
it's playing back either, but I don't remember that point now. Better to
compare to Roland SP808 or Akai MPC2000, other devices more oriented to
live sequencing with precreated samples.  Watching him use it, it seemed
powerful but the interface seemed kind of clumsy and slow. But like I said,
I didn't use it myself and this was almost a year ago. Seems to me that
someone on the list here has/had one, maybe they can give a better
explanation of the good points.

kim