Re: Plex Upgrade ideas: Loose the box. (POLAR!)

Peter Shindler wrote:
<snip>
> EVERYONE's signal goes into one G3 Powerbook, which has all the sound
> samples and looping software onboard, and then a simple controller for
each
> person to manipulate his own signal and loops.
<more snip>
> Is such a thing even technically possible?  And, if so, how much moolah
> would all this crap cost?

Hmmm, that is a very interesting concept. I, too, dream of a laptop-based
looping/effect/synth/recording rig with a PowerBook, a Magma PCI expansion
chassis (www.magma.com) and a Creamware Pulsar (www.creamware.com.)

One G3 would be hard-pressed to process three or four peoples' worth of
music however. To make your idea work reasonably well, it might require
each
member to have their own G3 rig, and they would have to be networked with
at
least 100Mb or possibly even gigabit ethernet.

Initial estimates for my dream rig started getting close to $10,000US
before
I just put the whole idea aside for the moment. And remember, that is just
for one rig.

Technology just keeps getting cheaper though...

-- Mango --