Re: Advice on digital VCR for loop purposes

No hands on experience, but I've read a little about
using VCRs as mixdown decks. The main thing that comes
to mind is that it needs to be a "HiFi" VCR. This will
allow you to record & play in stereo. The VCR you
mention appears to be mono. I also seem to recall
audio compression issues depending on the particular
brand of VCR.

This concludes any possible contribution on my part
to this thread, as I excell at knowing a little about
a lot.

I would like to know what you have in mind as far as
looping goes.

John

--- Kim Flint <kflint@ati.com> wrote:
> At 08:13 PM 10/29/99 -0700, Javier Miranda V. wrote:
> >I would like to request of those loopers who are
> knowledgeable of VCR and
> >VCR recording for audio purposes -- loop audio of
> course -- to review the
> >specs on this digital VCR that I've come to know
> about.  I've copied the
> >specs on a page in my website:
> >
> >http://www.gnominus.org/toss/digital_VCR.html
> >
> >I don't know what makes a VCR digital, does that
> mean it records digitally?
> >It seems this thing, if it records digitally, would
> turn out to be one hell
> >of a mixing deck, no? ...for the price, I mean.
> I'm getting what looks like
> >a good deal for this at http://shop.theglobe.com.
>
> hey, shameless plug for my buddies in ATI's video
> software team, creators of
> a Digital VCR that runs on your PC:
>
> ATI Announces ATI-Video Wonder(TM) Add-In Board for
> Frame-Accurate Video Editing, Time-Shifting, Turning
> the PC
> Into A Digital VCR
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/990830/ati_video__1.html
>
> Not sure how you'd use it for looping, but you're
> all a creative lot, I'm
> sure you'll figure something out. go nuts...
>
> kim

> Kim Flint
> 408-845-6383
> Manager, System Engineering