Re: unsubscribe / grumpy loopers

>Come on Larry, I said the "average "solo effort'". To use your
>expression, Geesh. Bach, Beethoven, Philip Glass (BTW, there's only one
>'L' in Philip, Larry :-)), etc., did not develop their genius in a
>bubble. I am making the observation that much of the music I've heard
>from this new wave of solo performers is mediocre. Yes, including my
>music (grumble). Beware the creative vacuum!

I guess have a hard time imagining an "average solo effort".
You must admit that the generalization is oblique, subjective
and ultimately unquantifiable.

Maybe I'll lighten up and improve my typing skills anyway :)

You *do* get the point though...

>I think this is a sensitive subject for any "artist." Who wants to admit
>their "art" is masturbatory? (Perhaps "masturbatory" is an unfortunate
>expression for this thread. It does good job expressing the idea,
>though.)

Gratuitous might be a more appropriate description. For instance,
the mindless virtuoso who's performances strive to break land speed
record, whether or not it complements or adds anything to the idiom
s/he is working in. That would be gratuitous.

>You are right on about the internet being a new and great tool for
>sharing the music and ideas of these "lone creatives." That's why I'm on
>this list. And why I think the critical scrutiny of others is crucial to
>the process of loop making or whatever.

At least we can agree on that.

- Larry