Re: gibson article

>this probably seems a bit off topic, but this (URL below) is an
>interesting
>article about gibson and opcode (oberheim is mentioned!). i'm wondering if
>kim has any comments to add (especially since it is almost november, and
>still no sign of the EDP).
>
>klowy
>
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/6454/index.html

comment:

- Business is not warm and fuzzy. welcome to capitalism. Just because it's
the music instrument business doesn't make it pretty. These same things
happen everywhere.

- The average business people in the music world seem to be stupider than
most. They have knack for vastly overestimating their own importance and
wealth-generating potential, getting very greedy, then doing foolish things
and getting themselves sued by entites who actually do have the power they
thought they had.

- Opcode had screwed themselves over long before Gibson came along. They
were blinking out fast. Seems to me that Gibson kept a terminal patient
alive one year longer than they would have lasted anyway. It baffles me how
people see Gibson as the bad guy here. I guess conspiracy theory is always
more fun.

- This represents a bigger trend. Music application software is a doomed
industry IMO. There's hardly any money in it now, and all the customers
freely steal the products anyway. Or they find a freeware version
elsewhere. Expect to see a lot more companies vanish in the next five
years. Even Microsoft doesn't expect to be selling software in 10 years,
they are transitioning towards a services business model. I doubt that will
work in a small-money niche like the music biz, certainly not before a lot
more consolodation.

- Events with Opcode are mostly unrelated to the Echoplex. We (Aurisis
Research) have had a reasonable business relationship with Gibson for many
years. Our deal with them is simple and clear, and we try not to be idiots
about it, so it continues to work.

- I say "mostly" because we wasted a bunch of time getting opcode set up
for echoplex production, while they went back and forth on it and couldn't
decide what to do. If they had run with it, they would have had at least
one product making money and maybe still be around, and echoplexes would
have been available months ago. If you want to blame somebody for lack of
echoplexes right now, try the geniuses at opcode. That whole event pissed
me off a lot, but in retrospect it is better. I like the current situation
for the Echoplex a lot more, and new units are indeed on the way.

kim