Re: anyone looping 2 or more personal computers?

At 6:52 PM -0700 12/3/99, Morgan Hamilton Lang wrote:
>Hi, all:
>
>I seem to be acquiring more and more pre-PPC Macs as more and more of
>them are
>thrown away by slap-happy consumers.
>
>I am hatching an evil plan to have them all
>generate random MIDI commands to one another while I dance around them
>listening
>to their cheap little speakers fart and burp.
>
>I wonder: who among you has set up comparatively lo-tech real-time loops
>between
>personal computers using MIDI data or audio? Tell me about your setup and
>give
>me advice if you have a moment.

There used to be a shareware called (I think) Parrot, which recorded
snippets from a Mac's mic input
and then played them back at random through the internal speaker. I used to
have a dozen old
Macs and considered setting up installation using them all running this
program, within earshot of each other.

Sort of like the classic "I am sitting in a room" effect, but interactive
and crudely digital. Also, it
occured to me that if you left 100 machines running this long enough you
might eventually get a recital of Hamlet, or something.

-Alex S.