parrot

Thanks, Alex. Parrot can be gotten from

ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/mac/sound/soundutil/parrot1.0b1.cpt.hqx

It's perfect for ol' junky macs because it only monitors the "mic" input.
It won't
work on my PPC, but, still,  not bad for only 37k. I'm going to try it out
on the
68000s.

MHL

At 6:52 PM -0700 12/3/99, Morgan Hamilton Lang wrote:
>Hi, all:
>
>I seem to be acquiring more and more pre-PPC Macs as more and more of
>them are
>thrown away by slap-happy consumers.
>
>I am hatching an evil plan to have them all
>generate random MIDI commands to one another while I dance around them
>listening
>to their cheap little speakers fart and burp.
>
>I wonder: who among you has set up comparatively lo-tech real-time loops
>between
>personal computers using MIDI data or audio? Tell me about your setup and
>give
>me advice if you have a moment.

There used to be a shareware called (I think) Parrot, which recorded
snippets from a Mac's mic input
and then played them back at random through the internal speaker. I used to
have a dozen old
Macs and considered setting up installation using them all running this
program, within earshot of each other.

Sort of like the classic "I am sitting in a room" effect, but interactive
and crudely digital. Also, it
occured to me that if you left 100 machines running this long enough you
might eventually get a recital of Hamlet, or something.

-Alex S.