Re: New looper guidance wanted/needed

With the caveat that you'll get a range of different answers to these
questions, and that apparently contradictory answers may be equally valid,
here's one opinion:

>At 03:33 PM 12/30/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Some general questions:

>My first notion is that looping and soundscapes are not really the same
>thing; that looping is more phrase sampling with playback and
>soundscapes is controlled feedback/regeneration.  Is this correct?

There's quite a bit of overlap between the two terms as they're generally
used. Yes, looping does involve the repetition of a captured piece of
sound, but it's also very important to be able to add to and manipulate the
loop in real time. Looping is a much broader term, while soundscapes are
usually descriptive of a more textural style using looping.

>How much delay time is necessary to do soundscape-like effects?

It's surprising how much can be done with under two seconds, but obviously
the more memory (and control functions!) you've got the more versatile you
can be.

>How many delay units are needed to do decent soundscapes?

A lot depends on what type of delays you're using; if you've got something
with a decent live overdub capability (see "Tools of the Trade" on the LD
site <http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/tools.html> you can do a lot
more than you could with a sample-and-hold delay. What many loopers do when
they upgrade, though, is to hang onto their older delays since you can
always find some use for a short looper. One thing that's probably more
important than the number of delays in doing decent soundscapes has to do
with the variety of sounds being input TO your delays; a wide range of
timbres from your instrument(s) when combined with a looping device's
overdub capability can sound pretty orchestral, polyphonic or just plain
massive. That's why so many soundscape artists favor synths (guitar,
keyboard, or some sort of alternate controller) and/or a good variety of
stompboxes; it's important to be able to draw upon a suitably wide range of
sounds to feed into your loopers, and to be able to change quickly between
these sounds with a good level of control.

>Is the EDP suited more for looping than soundscaping?

It can do both. It's probably the most versatile looping device available
in terms of delay time and parameters for loop manipulation. (Well, almost
available... January?!)

>Can one come close to that Fripp sound without buying lots of TC
>electronics and Harmonizers?

TC and Eventide both make some VERY fine cream-of-the-crop gear, but
there's a pile of stuff available that can get you into pitch-shifting and
layered delays for a whole lot less money. Check out the archives or some
of the bulletin boards like Harmony Central; you'll find many aficionados
of some of the more moderately-priced multi-effects and stompboxes from
Zoom, Boss/Roland, Korg, Digitech, etc. etc. etc., as well as those
maladjusted miscreants among us who enjoy scouring pawnshops for weird,
funky old effects and connecting them in combinations which would nauseate
their designers.

Again, you'll get many different answers to your questions, and the bottom
line is finding what works best for you.

Tim