From: Peter Shindler [mailto:shindler@mediaone.net]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 4:53 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: Re: torn vs. fripp

Whoa, a debate about the two mack-daddies of looped guitar?!  This could
get
ugly!

For my part, I wuv 'em both and consider them among my favorites.

However, if pressed, I'd have to admit that I wish Fripp used his equipment
a bit more resourcefully; I mean, with all the effects and synth modules he
uses, why does he resort to that Mellotron-ish synthy sound 90% of the
time,
ignoring all the other timbral possibilities available to him?  (probable
answer:  because he likes it)  I think Torn gets more sonic mileage out of
his equipment, especially considering that he's not going the synth route,
but his pieces often lack the slow-burning, gradually-climaxing tension
that
Fripp is so great at manipulating.

As a final aside, Torn's much more fun to watch during a performance.

Peter

PS  My Boss GT-3 arrived in the mail yesterday.  God, what a piece of
machinery!  This thing is going to keep me busy for years...