Re: someone say escher? (debatable l.c.)

David Potter wrote:

> I need to know what an Escher painting is to relate it to looping!
>
> >From: "Dennis W. Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com>
> >To: <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
> >Subject: Re: Describing looping to others
> >Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:24:12 -0500
> >
> > >How about the audio equivalent of an ESCHER painting?
> >
> >I LIKE it!
> >
> >Dennis Leas

hm,

not to be an off-topic nitpicker here :-), but i'm afraid there's no
such thing as an escher *painting* (or at least no examples i've seen
in the public domain). escher's chosen mediums were woodcut and
lithograph (so escher *drawing* would be more correct...sorry!).

as for dtorn/fripp, i s'pose i should chime in with my dos centavos;
haven't seen but fripp live (and that was pretty tame-except when at
several points in the evening's program his regenerations got the best
of him and a mad scramble to shut things down insued: great fun that!),
but mr. torn's been seen (or read) around these parts, so i better be
careful what i say 'bout him :-)...seriously, they are both amazing
souls, i do think i like fripp's early crimson/eno work the best (i keep
up with the latter output but sporadically, hoping *this one* will be
great)...some of his solos from eno's first few albums rank among my
very favorite bits. mr. torn is a world unto himself. i enjoy his
sylvian collaborations as well (great subterfuge, while fripp stays more
on top?). anyway, one unfamiliar with either or both (hard to imagine on
this list) would do well to sample as befits their discretion.

lance g.