Re: Midi Dump on EDP

Hi Bad Dog!

Well, it depends on what you're trying to do, but Kim has always suggested
capturing the audio of the EDP loop rather than the digital data. The MIDI
Dump
can take 50 to 70 times as long as the real-time of the loop.  (See
http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/echoplex/FAQ2.html#Anchor-Does-17304 )

I have a Kyma system ( http://www.symbolicsound.com/ ) that I use to
capture EDP
loops.  I construct the loop in the EDP, then touch a MIDI key which
commands
the Kyma to grab the loop.  Now I can diddle with it in the Kyma or
build-up
another loop in the Kyma.

To do this kind of thing on your laptop, you'll need a MIDI interface
(with both
MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT since the EDP and computer must dialog), an analog
sound
input (probably built-in...I'm impressed with the features and quality of
Dell
laptaps), and some type of control program.  PC-wise I don't have any
recommendations regarding the control program.  If it were a Mac, I'd look
at
MAX/MSP.  But maybe other folks could recommend something?

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com