open reel deck looping?

I use a telescoping aluminum arm that has a spare guide from the machine
I am using.  For longer loops I use a microphone stand with a guide
affixed to the top.
Using a replacement guide is easier on the machine and tape and gives
more consistent results.

G. Wong

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but one of the easiest ways to
make a
"looping fixture" on an open-reel machine is to simply build a wood face
(probably plywood) around the machine, then use push - pins (y'know, the
ones with the barrel-like upper parts) to extend the tape outwards from the
deck. Least that's how I did it when I was a boy.
Douglas Baldwin, Alpha male Coyote, the Trickster
dbaldwin@suffolk.lib.ny.us