Re: Napster

*spider sense is tingling*

Unfortunately, Napster is just the first baby steps of a phenomenon that
is
not going to go away, and is going to dominate eventually - in 2 years, 5
years, whatever.  As much as I abhor the thought of artists of any ilk not
getting the credit/profit they deserve (graphics designers are feeling the
pain too, for other reasons), it's the wonderful Internet we're using
right
now, coupled with increasing bandwidth and new creative implementations of
distributed computing ideas, that is making things like this possible.

Like any tool, it's not so much the tool that is good/bad (morally), but
the
use the tool is put to.  Stuff like this is going to come out of the
woodwork that is going to make older physical distribution and profit
models
obsolete.  I'm sorry, I don't think we can avoid it or stop it, we just
have
to adapt to it.  And if Napster scares you, forget it, the cat's way out
of
the bag and it's almost obsolete anyway.

Right now, napster requires a central server to index all of the files the
various hosts have that are attached to it.  These servers can be shut
down,
or filter the content they index (which can be circumvented through simple
file renaming, but anyway).  Napster the company can be sued and shut
down.
But what about Gnutella?  This is an open source (i.e. there's no one to
sue) and completely client based distributed file sharing application (not
just mp3's, any file).  Unless you want some authoritive entity to attempt
to monitor all file transfers on the Internet (yeah, right), what are you
going to do?  Software like Gnutella is so simple to design and implement,
stuff like this is only going to proliferate.  And there's going to
eventually be encryption, multiple paths blah, blah, blah.  And there's
plenty of practical, respectable uses for software of this kind apart from
music distribution (which is only a subset of the types of files that
could
be shared).  Do you think anyone can stop progress like this?  All you
need
are fat pipes and some common standards and *WHAM* digital media
everywhere.

The answer is not going to be to attempt to preserve the decades old
distributing and profit models that many of us might be comfortable with.
It's going to be to learn and adapt to the new possiblities that no one is
going to be able to derail through legislation or lawsuit.

Michael