R: general digital recording query

I have bought a Vs-840 ex (250 Mb Zip) almost a years ago thinking to solve the big problem to understand which kind of software it would be the best to buy remaining in the same price range of it (I payed for it around 1.200 $).
I thought it was hard to set up my pc with a good software, an added hard disk, and the analog/digital converter ( I am using guitars and no midi).
Plus, with Zips I can make an archive of my tunes and have always the chance to remix them in the time.
I know the editing power of Vs-840 is limited and I would like to have more, but I thought that was the best solution at that time.
Any suggestions ?
Luca