RE: A Thought On Bass Samples

-----Original Message-----
From: DTRohr [mailto:dtrohr@mindspring.com]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 5:17 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: A Thought On Bass Samples

Hi Everybody!

>I play Bass.  I have the ability to record samples directly to my
>computer.
>If I were to make samples ( I know there's already a lot out there that
>are
>really good) but just curious if I were to do that, what would be the best
>format?

Wav file is the best for loops. (Akai is the best for samples)

Preloop them in your sound editor, if they are meant to loop. You could
also
turn off the acid loop flag for hits and non loopy ones, if your feeling
really nice to acid users.

>  What's the best way to record them.

Make sure that you record all the samples that are supposed to be used
together at the same time, with all the settings the same. Be generous in
the number of variations on a sound.

>I would be willing to post
>them on what limited space I have on my website free for the folks on list
>if there is interest, but since I'm new to this I really would like to
>work
>on getting the best sample possible, but I don't really know where to
start.

You might want to look at the sample collections on the net, they would be
very happy to host yours, I'm sure.

Don't fall for the temptation of encoding them as mp3 to save space. The
quality suffers when you pitch/tempo shift them then.

bIz