Re: D-Beam question

Check this out:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM98/Roland/Dimension-Beam.html .
Roland has exclusive license to the D-beam technology. F*cking overdone
copyright laws! ARHHH! And of course Roland would never actually release a
dedicated D-Beam like Ineractive Light did. You have to buy it attached to
another product that you don't need and you then have limited
programmability for it.

The D-beam is no longer available, but you can check here:
http://www.pacificnet.net/~flux/ . They've had some of the original
Dimension Beams for sale. Don't know if they still do.

Well, I've been looking for original D-beams as someone here on the list
(John Hunter) talked about his setup with a couple of D-beams (search for
it in the LD archives). It sounded very cool and I've been on the lookout
for them every since. I look in the classifieds on Harmony Central and on
Ebay quite often and have never seen any used ones for sale.

This leads me to believe that either: a) there were never that many
D-beams made in the first place, or b) they are that cool and nobody who
has one wants to sell it, or c) the people who bought them have enough
money to throw around that they have no need to sell them.

The D-beams are so cool, but I don't think the "unwashed masses" really
got the idea of it for use by itself. Of course, now that Roland is
including it with their "techno-in-a-box" stuff there are lots of people
using it, but I'm not holding my breath of there ever being a stand alone
version being made again anytime soon.

Something else you might want to check out: http://www.soundbeam.co.uk/ .
They are making a product that works very similiar to the D-beam. Its not
the same or nearly as compact, but it might be your best alternative. If
you really want a true D-beam, than I think your best bet is one of those
Roland HPD-15 Handsonics.

One last thing. Have any of you actually seen a performance with someone
who primarily used a D-beam(s)? I've always thought that a pair of them
would make a great controller for Max and have been trying to imagine what
it would *look* like to see someone making music just by moving their arms
around in the air.

Hope this helps.

Ben Porter.

--

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:05:13   Allan Hoeltje wrote:
>Anyone here using the "Dimension Beam" from Interactive Light?  I did a
>web search and found that Roland licensed the technology for their line
>of DJ equipment around 1996 but the URL for Interactive Light is dead.
>Are they out of business?  Is the D-Beam still available anywhere?  If
>anyone here has any info on this device I'd really appreciate hearing
>from you.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Allan

What are you N2?  Choose from 150 free e-mail addresses.
http://www.n2mail.com