RE: My experiences with the Handsonic (long, reveiw)

">
>oh, drat.  and there's no wayto upgrade the sounds I assume...

Nope. You could control an external sound module, but that kind of kills
the
point of having all that stuff on board. From my own point of view, I'm
rather tired of 'lots of programming to get it to do what you want'
instruments.  If I want that, I can use reactor, which is what I'd probably
use the handsonic to control, latency and all."

I am mainly interested in using an external module for the
microtunability.
I have not been able to tune any of the internal sounds in steps smaller
than 50 cents (a quarter-tone).  You can only program a 24-ET scale, which
is severely limiting.

"It's pretty much a less than run-of-the-mill drum machine, with
>excellent<
hand drum sounds, tied to an cool controller surface but with a something
be desired UI and set up, and an unflexible architecture. It's still a lot
of fun, but don't expect to be excited by anything but the hand
drum/percussion emulations."

This is a fair assessment, which I agree with.  There are still a number
of
things which I need to investigate further, such as if _all_ the internal
sounds are samples, or if some of them are physically modeled.  If the
former, then conceivably, _any_ of the sounds can be set up to be
controlled
with muting, palm heel pressure, positional sensing, etc. and other
techniques afforded by the V-Drum type triggering technology.  More
significantly, can the V-Drum-type triggering be made to work with
external
MIDI sounds?  How about the D-Beam and ribbons?  If yes, that would be
majorly cool in my book.  If not, I'm satisfied with the internal sounds
that _are_ V-controllable.

Speaking of the hand percussion emulations, I must say I like the manual's
little section on how to play like a conga drummer.  If sections were
added
to explain simple udu, talking drum, and tabla techniques (as played on
Handsonic) that alone would make the manual a lot better.  Fortunately, I
did have some tabla instruction...

Keep in mind all my comments have been posted without the benefit of
having
seen the Handsonic demo video, which I did order from Roland.

Bottom line is, YOU as the customer need to decide if the Handsonic is
right
for YOUR needs for the asking price.  The closest thing out there is the
Zendrum and it is several hundred dollars more expensive without the
V-drum
technology (for muting, pressure sensitivity, etc.), the extra controllers
(D-Beam, ribbons), built-in sounds, or sequencer.  I know for what I want
do, the answer was "yes".

Hopefully the posts on these threads have been of assistance.

Paolo