Re: Mixer Questions

Rainer Straschill wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Coming back to your Vortex question: I still don't understand what you're
> trying to accomplish. Did I get it right that you want to route your
>entire
> mix (or most of it) into the vortex, then feed the vortex back into the
> mixer and send the mix plus vortex to the PA or tape? If you want to send
> everything through the vortex, then why don't you use the main inserts?

Let's say I've got synth, vg-8 guitar, bass, drum machine, headrush, and
edp ('cause I do).  Then let's say that I want a mix of only the loopers
going through the vortex while the rest goes through to the amp...or
only drum machine (un looped) and bass (un
looped)...or some other combination that is not the full mix.  Since,
the Vortex prefers to be used as an insert rather than in an fx-loop, I
wanted to have a sub-mix with an insert.

This is what I love about this group:  people on this list will actually
take time out from off-topic discussions to answer questions of a
marginally-on-topic nature.

BTW, speaking of the vortex, mine just started to act up.  Last night I
started noticing that the levels would drop and return intermittently.
After some investigation, I discovered that if I lightly tapped the side
of the Input pot, I could force it to happen (with a slight crackle) and
if I turned the Input pot I would get a lot of crackle and the levels
vary a lot.  Is this a problem that requires significant work or can any
idiot with a can of compressed air and some wd-40 (that'd be me) fix it?

Cheers,

Jon Southwood