Re: Repeater vs EDP plus a little philosophy...

Title: Re: Repeater vs EDP plus a little philosophy...
Hi Kim:

You wrote:

 I must confess I have very, very little patience for people who use public
> forums like this in a negative way, trying to bring harm onto others with
> baseless accusations, rumors, exaggerated complaints, etc.

Just wanted to say that we think patience is always a virtue.  We've learned that over seven months trying to get an operating Gibson Echoplex .  Finally, thanks to Shane Radtke's serious attention, our original "bad dog" Echoplex bought last winter has been replaced and Shane was kind enough to upgrade the memory as well.

Incidentally, we has posted here intending that our experience with Gibson be left as a record and critique for other potential buyers of the Gibson Echoplex, as well as feedback for management at Gibson.  Hopefully they can improve their production schedule, and get more Echoplex into the pipeline.  One side note, Shane Radtke in Gibson/Trace Elliot support has by now had a great deal of experience with the Echoplex and it's sometimes quirks.  In the last few weeks he has impressed us with his attention to details, and his thoughtful responses to our descriptions of our troubled machine.  In short, he gets looping.

We genuinely look forward to the Electrix Repeater.  It sounds very interesting indeed.  As Miko pointed out, the more loopers the merrier (We've found Digital Performers POLAR computer studio looper pretty interesting of late, and there is good Quicktime video tutorial/demonstration of the Polar software.  It might be available as a download on the MOTU web sight, and it would be worth emailing the folks at MOTU to find out).

But if you have an Echoplex Digital Pro, you have a remarkable live performance looping device created by people with a passion for musical exploration (thank you Matthias Grob and Kim!).  If you are willing to put in the time to study the beast, nothing out there that we have read about is going to supplant it.  That's why we bought one of the originals from Oberheim, and that's why we got on the Gibson waiting list year.   And that's why we will continue to watch closely Gibson's handling of this remarkable product.

The virtues of patience.

Best,
Kevin Cooney
Roctologists