Re: OT: LapTop interfaces-

Metric Halo announced a firewire based 1 rack unit interface
w/ 8 channels analog i/o, 2 channels digital (AES or S/PDIF)
and internal DSP.  The version w/ 1 DSP is estimated to be $1500 list,
one w/ 2 chips is at $2500.  I spoke to a salesman on the phone
today, but he didn't know what the latency would be for host-based
processing, or if they were mLan compatible (I assume not, though
the press release says that the rack box software is "upgradeable").
ETA is dec/january.  There's some info on it at harmony central in
their AES news section.

BTW: I've had a 2408 for a couple years and have found
it to be amazingly flexible -- but if the Metric Halo
box works, and Apple can get a G4 powerbook out, I'm
gonna chuck the 2408.

Jim