Re: Akai MPC 2000 vs. EDP (echoplex)

While I'm not personally versed in the MPC 2000, I've gotta tell ya...
we've all been dissecting the specifications of many samplers here for a
few years now... and the answer is that MOST of them have precious little
ability to do much of anything IN REAL TIME other than trigger
pre-recorded loops... and possibly process them through their own dsp fx.

This doesn't mean there's not one out there, but believe me when I say
WE'VE ALL BEEN ASKING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR A LONG TIME! The EDP
(which I own) and possibly the forthcoming Electrix Repeater and the
Boomerang all have traits unavailable on any other boxes... Admittedly,
the Repeater is vaporware at this point so there's not much to choose from
that's very deep. There's a slightly larger variety of dumbed-down (to use
Kim Flint's phrase) boxes... the Line6 DL4... Lexicon JamMan... Akai
Headrush... Zoom floor multi-fx... as well as a number of plain old delay
lines which we're all using for real time stuff.

WE ALL WANT AND NEED SAMPLERS WITH REAL TIME RECORD, OVERDUB, DSP
PROCESSING, TIME WARPING / PITCH TRANSPOSE... If they then liscensed the
Aurisis Loop s/w and implemented it into such a box and added memory
registers, upgradeable dsp memory, upgradeable sampling memory, a glass
interface... WE'D ALL FALL OVER IN DISBELIEF THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY
LISTENED!

In a nutshell... Don't sell the EDP thinking you're going to do 1/50th of
that stuff on a sampler. In fact... you're probably gonna have a hard time
just recording and getting it to loop in real time without extra button
hits. Something which should be in EVERY sampler.

Samplers are cool, but they haven't come up with a good hybrid of both
concepts yet. Don't hold your breath either. The Repeater ad copy seems to
imply that you will be able to store loops, each containing 4 tracks, and
then overdub, pitch transpose w/time stretching to keep in sync... If that
works correctly I'd say that it will be on of the first of the hybridized
hardware  boxes available.

Best regards,
-Miko

>>> prattwink2@yahoo.com 09/29/00 02:35PM >>>
I would like an MPC 2000, but I would have to sell my
EDP to get it.
  Are there things in the MPC that will allow cool
looping like the EDP. For example: listening to a
sample and recording at the same time. Then the
ability to play them together (just as you sampled
them)? Building on a sample through many layers.
I hope this question is not to abstact.