Re: Anyone using a Rane SM 26B?

>> I don't know the merits of a balanced buffered signal versus other
>signal varieties, so can someone tell me why a unit like this is needed
>when a simple patch bay should be able to do the same thing?

Well... you can split or mult with a patch bay, but you won't get
buffering which keeps signal levels at or near unity. You CAN actually
boost your signal with the SM26 at the output allowing for better gain
staging. The individual channels are unity gain I believe. You probably
shouldn't recombine or mult outputs (mixing).

> I've used two SM-26's, both of which I purchased used for under $150
>each. The cheapest Switchblade lists for $750.

Good prices! I sold mine (maybe on this list?) for more like $250...
They're worth it... Still a LOT cheaper than the 8 channel Switchblade.
(Although the blade does things NO other system will do, although you HAVE
to have a midi controller and a computer to program and use it.

> You can take a stereo or mono signal, and then do a bunch of
>things--three mono send and returns, three stereo sends to another mixer,
>mono send and return with two stereo splits, etc, etc.  The buffered
>signal helps keep your input level to the various devices (loopers,
>processors. whatever) constant regardless of what you do to the other
>channels, helps maintain your fidelity, etc.  Their nickname for it is
>the "Swiss Army Mixer", and I've found it to be very useful.  You can use
>it with balanced or unbalanced signals.  I used one for years to take a
>mono signal, send it to three loopers and then bring it all back to a
>mono source.  You won't be able to recombine four signals with just the
>SM-26, you'll need a second mixer for more than three mono signals.

All true... I mostly used my as 2 aux sends and returned 2 stereo pairs...
The output volume knob served as a handy master volume knob on my rack.

> A simple patchbay won't do all that, but might let you split your signal
>from one source to several devices and then recombine the signal at the
>end. TravisH

Again... watch out trying to recombine outputs from other boxes with a
patchbay. Splitting is fine... (Anyone have a more technical explanation
of this?)

Best,
-Miko