I need advice on space echo probem

I have the Roland RE-201 space echo and was hoping to get some advice on
a problem I'm having with it.  When I send it a signal it does not erase
and you hear it muffled and looping in the background.  The signal is
supposed to delay and then erase but the original signal is constantly
going  and is very distorted and sounds awful.   I have cleaned and
demagnetized the heads and changed the tape but am not sure where to go
from here.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  thanks, James
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.