RE: Help with me Loops! (and plugs..)

Whoops.  Replied to the individual, not the group.  Sorry.

----- Forwarded by Lindsay Graham/Pavestone on 10/18/00 12:22 PM -----

                    Lindsay Graham

                                         To:     <gnominus@earthling.net>

                    10/18/00 10:40       cc:

                    AM                   Subject:     RE: Help with me
Loops! (and plugs..)
                                         (Document link: Lindsay Graham)

>Damn!  These are good tricks.  I have Acid Pro,
>but never thought of trying these.

>Thank you very much for your witties, and if
>you have more, please, do share.

Well, I will never profess to being an ACID guru (I'll leave that to
Timothy Leary), but here's another thing I've found useful:

Often, when I decide to add reverb to a wave file I'm turning into a
loop--and this can be with outboard gear or with software plug-ins--when I
finish up and try out the loop, several things happen: 1.) the reverb decay
tail extends past the last beat mark of the loop, and 2.) the beginning of
the loop sounds very dry--abruptly so--when it comes back around.

Here's my solution: back in Sound Forge (or Cool Edit or Wave Lab...), find
the rhythmic end-point of the loop.  Lets say we're at 120 bpm, and it's an
eight-beat loop, so that would be 4 seconds from the start.  Sound Forge
(and others, too, maybe) has the ability to display the time in measures
and beats, which I find useful, provided you give it the right tempo to
calculate them from.  Find the closest zero-crossing to the four-second
mark.  Select all audio from that point on, until the end of the reverb
decay.  Cut it (not delete).  Go to the front of your loop, at 0:00:00.
Paste Special (not just paste) what you just cut--I forget what the actual
Paste Special option is, but it's something like "Add both sections 100%"
or something.  You're basically layering the end of the reverb decay onto
the front of the loop, so that when the loop comes around, the decay
continues, without that awful empty feeling you get when the loop begins
again, dry as a bone.

I don't know how well this whole ACID string fits in with the gestalt of
the group, but hey, I was asked.

                    "Javier

                    Miranda V."           To:     <lindsay@pavestone.com>

                    <gnominus@eart        cc:

                    hling.net>            Subject:     RE: Help with me
Loops! (and plugs..)

                    10/18/00 10:07

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to gnominus

Damn!  These are good tricks.  I have Acid Pro, but never thought of trying
these.

Thank you very much for your witties, and if you have more, please, do
share.

Javier
Berkeley

Also,