Re: OT-fundamentals in sound (was singing bowls)

Maybe it's too much of an open ended discussion to compare hand
hammered brass bowls (actually, from what i know, tibetan bowls are
not just brass but a combination of metals) to speaker cones and
enclosures?

With the bowls, you are taking a hand hammered piece of metal which
is often not perfect in it's construction.  And then you are rubbing
it with a stick of a certain weight, with a certain amount of force
and technical ability.  How can you measure the 'efficiency' of such
a thing?  Can it be done?  What about one bowl versus another?  One
player versus another?

This discussion made me think of what a bowl would sound like and
what frequencies could be generated by making some sort of pneumatic
device that would hold the bowl (small suction cup at the bottom?),
and spin a dowel around the lip, and you could vary the speed of
rotation, and the pressure applied to the bowl.

yowza, put that in your pipe and smoke it, Leslie Speaker!  maybe it
would be some sort of feedback/frequency cannon.  Survival Research
Labs?  i got an idea for you!

rich