Re: OT:Singing bowl measurements

Hi James,

You are right.The instrument I mentioned was a Rudra Vina(been/bin).
As I were busy to find its name from my chaotic bookshelve,I saw
your mail and immidiately the name flashed up in my brain.
Nevertheless I checked it through my ancient diaries,to be sure.:-)

It is a long time ago,that I had this experience,so I was a little
doubtful,if my comments are correct.

I donīt want to pretend,that I am an expert in the classical indian
music,nor with its instruments.It was a unique experience for me and
it seems,that I was lucky to get a chance to hear the nearly extinctioned
Rudra Vian personally.
This Rudra Vina phenomen came back to my mind,when I read all this
entries about the singing bowl.

It seems,that there is also a relation to "hear tones" between the
body and the instrument.
And as Jack mentioned,it can be also have an opposite character.
The player hears a thin sound,but the audient gets a rich,fundamental
sound.

This needs at least a research,about the acousitc phenomens of such
instruments.A worse problem is,that this instruments are "fading" out.
It is already a problem,if traditional instruments still appear,but the
knowledge how to master them in the origin context,is going nearly to
extinction.
The most worst case is,if already such instruments are going to
extinction.It means,that the musical background is already lost.

As simple E/Midi-Guitarist;i donīt have the qualification to speak about
such acoustic phenomens of indian classic music/instruments.
Nevertheless I am interested very much in this topics.

Marty