Re: Help looking Guitar Processor

From: <Ppaulpadam@aol.com>
> A friend of mine and I are looking for a nice guitar processor that
>doesn't sound so "electronicy". If some of you remember GENTLE GIANT, my
>friend Gary Green played guitar w/ them. They are thinking of placing
>stuff on mp3 as some of the rights to their material have reverted back
>to them. Gary and I'de both love something that makes us think of being
>in that old big room.

Hi Paul... Great to hear you guys are still at it! (Big fan for years...)

> If you remember GIANT you can remember what Garys Guitar sound was like.
>I need something similar ( My elect fav soundz were Joe Walsh, Jimi of
>coarse, Dave Gilmore. ). I WOULD ALSO LOVE A PROCESSOR THAT WOULD WORK
>WELL with my classical nylon string guitar ( Fingerstyle guitar is my
>main thing. ).

I use a Boss GT-5 and believe you can get excellent results given some
twiddling time. The awesome thing about that box is it's real time fx
control and all-in-one control package. It's goes direct to the board
pretty well, but I prefer still miking it in stereo.

I'm looking into the Yamaha DG Stomp... It's much smaller... and the
reviews have been VERY positive. Our own list member David Coffin uses the
GT-5, and was a member of the Yamaha development team. (patch writing I
believe). Maybe he can chime in here as well, as he's used nearly every
direct inject method known to man searching for great tone... (and oddball
sounds as well). David?

> I was a guitar maker for many years, so I'm familiar w/ set ups and mods
>etc. Just clueless about ALL THOSE PROCESSORS OUT THERE!!    GEEZE!!  I
>COULD SPEND ALL DAY LOOKING AT EBAY!!   I currently use a Yamaha FX 500
>for processing live sound.  As you can see, I'm unsophisticated
>processor-wise.

I've had good results with my Taylor acoustic and the GT-5... I'd say if
you can turn off the amp simulation, you can get good full range sounds
with flat response (if you want), although I've found that I actually like
using amp sims and speaker sims for the acoustic as well. (Just tweaked
differently for the tonality of the Taylor).

> Oh,  and as long as we're speaking "idealy". It would be great if the
>unit allowed us to go direct to the board.

Boss GT-5, Boss GT-3, Roland GP-100, Yamaha DG Stomp, Line6 POD, Johnson
J-Station all are designed to go direct quite easily. I'm not sure about
digital output though... anyone know if any direct guitar processors have
digital outputs?

Anyway... it's great to know that you guys are still kicking it out...

Best regards,
-Miko