Re: OT Polyphony (was: rant from hell)

harveyS said:
>I'm sorry I never saw the 'rant from hell' that generated this thread.
>Anyway...

Rik Elswit ad written:
>The VG8 was a true breakthrough instrument, and Line 6, Johnson
>Millenium, and >Yamaha are all following Roland on this.

... and since I had such questions in mind, I reacted... I am sorry...

>t 10:17 PM 11/3/00 -0300, you wrote:
>>>May I interject here that each string on the Ztar is fully polyphonic.
>In
>>>its POLY mode every note you can touch will sound. The real application
>for
>>>this is when playing tapping style. I"m not aware of a guitar that will
>do
>>>this.
>>>
>>>So, if we wanted to get back on-topic, I might add that you could hold a
>>>chord with one hand, and tap a note higher up on the fingerboard with
>the
>>>other hand in a zone of keys dedicated to start/stop your EDP. :)
>>
>>oh, you can put out several notes simultaneously on the same string?
>>Thats amazing... but the instrument does not create any audio output,
>>so it would not make sense to use audio effects, since you can create
>>any MIDI sound on any string, right?
>
>Right. It's a MIDI controller. We've put sound cards onboard, if that
>helps. It's naturally possible to loop the audio output from the synth.
>Also, we've built some MIDI looping features into another similar device
>we
>make for the Kurzweil company, the EventStation percussion controller. It
>can capture MIDI events, loop them, build one them, change tempo, stuff
>like that. That software isn't in our guitar controllers yet, though. :(
>>
>>Can you automatically select the lowest *played* string and put a
>  >bass note only on that, as Polysubbass does?
>
>Never thought of that! It wouldn't be hard to add a routine to do that in
>MIDI. Interesting idea.

yes, its very handy... I actually have a patent on it :-)

>If you add your bass note in the audio, do you have
>any control over the timbre or voice-selection?

If you want a separate bass to appear, you want to select its sound,
and MIDI is probably the best.
But if you just want to add the "orchestral" function of a bass
discretely, you  stick with the guitar sound and add the lower
fundamental with some third to make it appear. Since the lower octave
is in phase, it melts with the original string sounds as if they were
the harmonics.
As for the attack, the original of the guitar is enough, very low
frequencies in it are just disturbing.
- yes, I have not seen any other octaver work like this...

>thanks,
>harveyS

welcome, tell me how its going...

>http://www.starrlabs.com

this did not work for me, unfortunately all internal links said "not
found"...

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org